1. If you are interested in the study, you can register your interest using the registration link provided by the hospital. You will be asked to consent to the study and provide an e-mail address.
2. To find out more about your tinnitus and the effects your tinnitus may have, you will be asked to complete an online screening questionnaire.
3. A telephonic appointment will be made to ensure you are clear on what the research involves and provide the opportunity for you to ask any questions. If you are eligible you will be invited to partake in the study. You can decide if you want to go ahead or not.
4. You will be placed by chance (randomly) into one of two groups and be told which group you have been allocated to.
5. If you are allocated to receive hospital-based treatment, you will be sent an appointment, during which you will be provided with information about tinnitus and management strategies. These may include sound enrichment advice, sleep management advice, and relaxation advice. A follow-up appointment may be booked.
6. If you are allocated to receive internet-based treatment, you will be sent details to login to the website, where you will read about suggested strategies to try. An Audiologist will support you through a messaging system and by telephone as required. The internet programme lasts 8 weeks and includes videos, worksheets, and easily readable information. There will be suggestions of things to practise each week and online worksheets to complete.
7. While partaking you will be sent 10 questions on a weekly basis, which should take less than three minutes to complete and will help monitor your progress.
8. After receiving your treatment, your progress will be evaluated by an online questionnaire, which should take less than 20 minutes to complete. An appointment will be made to discuss your results with you on the telephone.
9. To determine the maintenance effects of the intervention, there will be another online questionnaire two months after completing the treatment. This should take no longer than 15 minutes to complete.
To read the participation information leaflet, please click here.